Visit the New Facebook? Hacker warning spreads like wildfire on social network
Posted by pratyushkp
Facebook users are posting warnings to one another about a hacker operating on the network, using the offer to “Visit the new Facebook” to break into pages and kick out the page’s legitimate administrators.
Unfortunately the alerts do not include enough information to be useful, and members of the public may be unwittingly perpetuating a hoax in the belief that they are helping their friends, family and online chums avoid a nasty virus infection.
THIS NOTICE IS DIRECTED TO EVERYONE WHO HAS A PAGE ON FACEBOOK: IF SOME PEOPLE IN YOUR PROFILE OR YOUR FRIENDS SEND YOU A LINK WITH WORDS "VISIT THE NEW FACEBOOK '' AND THERE IS THE LINK BELOW, DO NOT OPEN! IF YOU OPEN IT YOU CAN SAY GOODBYE TO YOUR PAGE. IT'S A HACKER WHO STEALS YOUR DETAILS AND REMOVES YOU FROM YOUR OWN PAGE. COPY AND SPREAD THE WORD
Although there are many scams and attacks which spread on Facebook every day, no-one appears so far to actually have gathered any evidence that this one exists – and there is probably more nuisance being caused by users passing on the warning than by any attack which may or may not have happened.
Users believe they’re doing the right thing when they share warnings like this – but unfortunately they haven’t always checked their facts.
Please don’t share security warnings with your online friends until you have checked them with a credible source (such as an established computer security company). Threats can be killed off fairly easily, but misinformation like this can live on for months, if not years, because people believe they are “doing the right thing” by sharing the warning with their friends.
If you’re a regular user of Facebook, be sure to join the Sophos page on Facebook to be kept informed of the latest security threats.
Source :- http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com
- Visit the New Facebook? Hacker warning spreads like wildfire on social network (nakedsecurity.sophos.com)
- Facebook Dislike button spreads fast, but is a fake – watch out! (nakedsecurity.sophos.com)
- Bobby Roberts hacker chain letter spreads quickly on Facebook (nakedsecurity.sophos.com)
- Facebook spam prevention scam spreading like wildfire (go.theregister.com)
- Dad catches daughters on webcam: Beware viral Facebook video link (pratyushkp.wordpress.com)
- OMG Look What This Kid Did To His School Facebook Scam Spreading (techie-buzz.com)
- Spam from your Facebook account? Malware attack poses as official warning (pratyushkp.wordpress.com)
- Sophos urges Facebook to better protect its users (zdnet.com)
- Heads up FB friends! New chain letter spreads on Facebook (nakedsecurity.sophos.com)
- Spam from your Facebook account? Malware attack poses as official warning (nakedsecurity.sophos.com)
About pratyushkpA Newbie Social Media Blogger , Social Network Addict , Social Gamer ( Mafiawars , Farmville) , Working as a Marketing Specialist for a E-cards company. www.blogoholic.in
Posted on May 16, 2011, in Social, Technology and tagged Confidence trick, facebook, Hacker (computer security), Malware, Online Communities, social network, Sophos, Spam, Webcam. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.