Dad catches daughters on webcam: Beware viral Facebook video link
Posted by pratyushkp
Facebook is being hit by another viral message, spreading between users’ walls disguised as a link to a saucy video.
The messages, which are spreading rapidly, use a variety of different links but all claim to be a movie of a dad catching his daughters making a video on their webcam:
The messages also tag some of the victims’ Facebook friends, presumably in an attempt to spread the links more quickly across the social network.
If you make the mistake of clicking on the link you are taken to a webpage which shows a video thumbnail of two scantily clad young women on a bed. The page urges you to play the video, however doing so will post the Facebook message on your own wall as a “Like” and pass it to your friends.
Unfortunately, the new security improvements announced by Facebook this week fail to give any protection or warning about the attack.
Ultimately, you may find your browser has been redirected to a webpage promoting a tool for changing your Facebook layout, called Profile Stylez and – on Windows at least – may find you have been prompted to install a program called FreeCodec.exe which really installs the Profile Stylez browser extension.
It’s certainly disappointing to see Facebook’s new security features fail at the first major outbreak – clearly there’s much more work which needs to be done to prevent these sorts of messages spreading rapidly across the social network, tricking users into clicking on links which could be designed to cause harm.
Source :- http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com
- Dad catches daughters on webcam: Beware viral Facebook video link (nakedsecurity.sophos.com)
- Facebook Scam Alert: Look what happens when Father catches Daughter on Webcam! (techie-buzz.com)
- What is FouTube? Viral Facebook clickjacking video scams explored (nakedsecurity.sophos.com)
- ALERT: Avoid ‘Father Catches Daughter On Webcam’ (allfacebook.com)
- Beware of Fake Osama bin laden links on web! (trak.in)
- Beware Video Osama Traps on Facebook (socyberty.com)
- “â€œShocking New Video of Osama Bin Ladenâ€™s Deathâ€ Facebook Spam” and related posts (teck.in)
- Photo tagged as a Facebook bunnygirl? Beware viral scam (nakedsecurity.sophos.com)
- Osama Bin Laden death video scam spreads virally on Facebook (nakedsecurity.sophos.com)
- Osama Bin Laden death video scam spreads virally on Facebook (securitybloggersnetwork.com)
About pratyushkpA Newbie Social Media Blogger , Social Network Addict , Social Gamer ( Mafiawars , Farmville) , Working as a Marketing Specialist for a E-cards company. www.blogoholic.in
Posted on May 15, 2011, in Social, Technology and tagged Adobe Flash, Adobe Systems, Audio Video Interleave, Confidence trick, facebook, Osama Bin Laden, social network, Sophos, Webcam, Windows Update. Bookmark the permalink. 2 Comments.