7.5 Million Facebook Users Are Younger Than 13
Posted by pratyushkp
The report, made public on Tuesday, is based on a survey of 2,089 members of a TNS interactive consumer panel. Using that sample, the magazine was able to estimate that more than 5 million Facebook users are 10 years old and younger, making up the bulk of the 7.5 million figure. Facebook’s terms of service require users to be at least 13 years old. To join, though, users merely have to enter their supposed birth dates when they sign up.
But Facebook’s screening requirements for minors may be a moot topic. In a statement, Jeff Fox, technology editor for Consumer Reports, said the majority of parents of kids 10 and under “seemed largely unconcerned by their children’s use of the site.”
Reps from Facebook could not be reached for comment.
This isn’t the first time Facebook’s policies on minors have been called into question. A class action suit filed in August in Los Angeles alleged that Facebook’s “Like” button triggered instances in which minors were endorsing products without their parents’ consent.
Source :- http://mashable.com
- Five million Facebook users are 10 or younger (news.consumerreports.org)
- Facebook had 7.5 million U.S. users under the age of 13: Survey (thestar.com)
- 15 percent of adult Facebook users falsify personal info (news.consumerreports.org)
- Millions of kids under 10 on Facebook, says Consumer Reports (inquisitr.com)
- Survey: 7.5 million Facebook users below minimum age (news.cnet.com)
- REPORT: 5 Million Facebookers Are Below Age 11 (allfacebook.com)
- Survey: 7.5M Facebook users below minimum age (news.cnet.com)
- @ FOX: Survey: 7.5M Kids on Facebook Are at Risk – Officials: Social Sites Increase Police Vulnerability (foxnews.com)
- Five million Facebook users are under age 11, how many play games? (games.com)
- 5 million users experienced abuse on Facebook (news.consumerreports.org)
About pratyushkpA Newbie Social Media Blogger , Social Network Addict , Social Gamer ( Mafiawars , Farmville) , Working as a Marketing Specialist for a E-cards company. www.blogoholic.in
Posted on May 11, 2011, in Social, Technology and tagged Age of majority, Children's Online Privacy Protection Act, Consumer Reports, facebook, FarmVille, Los Angeles, Online Communities, social network. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.