How Mother’s Day Facebook celebrations can lead to identity theft
Posted by pratyushkp
A couple of weeks ago Sophos explained why you shouldn’t reveal your Royal Wedding guest name. Now Sophos have to warn you that celebrating Mother’s Day can lead to you giving away too much personal information about your children.
Here’s a message which has been passed around on Facebook for a few days:
See what they’ve done? They’ve told me the name of their children and their precise date of birth. And I’m not even friends with them, they’ve left their profiles open for the entire world to see because they haven’t followed best practice guidelines for Facebook privacy settings.
And – don’t forget – when you share a piece of information with everyone on Facebook, that actually means the entire internet for ever. This information by itself may not be enough to commit identity theft against your child, but it’s a stepping stone for fraudsters which can help them.
You shouldn’t post this kind of personal information onto the internet – tell people you love your children and are proud of them without revealing their full names or dates of birth.
If you use Facebook and want to learn more about threats, you should join the Sophos Facebook page where we have a thriving community of over 80,000 people.
Source :- http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com
- What Would TV Do? Mother’s Day Edition (buddytv.com)
- ‘Happy Mother’s Day’ From Child Fund International (huffingtonpost.com)
- My Mother’s Day (caregiving.com)
- PHOTOS: New Celeb Moms Celebrating Their First Mother’s Day (huffingtonpost.com)
- Happy Mother’s Day from Mama Raider to All Raiders’ Mothers (bleacherreport.com)
- Happy Mother’s Day (ncbookbunch.wordpress.com)
- Happy Mother’s Day to Our Favorite Fit Celebrity Moms! (fitsugar.com)
- Identity Theft (pastoralyn.wordpress.com)
- Epic Meal of the (Mother’s) Day (thedailywh.at)
- How Mother’s Day Facebook celebrations can lead to identity theft (nakedsecurity.sophos.com)
About pratyushkpA Newbie Social Media Blogger , Social Network Addict , Social Gamer ( Mafiawars , Farmville) , Working as a Marketing Specialist for a E-cards company. www.blogoholic.in
Posted on May 9, 2011, in Social, Technology and tagged Birth mass, Birthday, Child, facebook, Identity theft, Mother's Day, Personally identifiable information, Royal Wedding. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.