Rumor: Facebook Partners with Baidu for China Site
Posted by pratyushkp
Popular social networking site Facebook was buzzing the web yesterday for a rumour about entering a partnership deal with Chinese search engine – Baidu. Citing a person familiar with the matter, a Chinese website reported that Facebook has signed a co-operation agreement with Baidu to work together in future for creating a new social networking website.
That new website would be a Facebook’s formal entry in China. Facebook spokesperson Debbie Frost, in response to an AFP inquiry, said “We are currently studying and learning about China, as part of evaluating any possible approaches that could benefit our users, developers and advertisers.”
Just to refresh the history, China has blocked several social networking sites which also includes Facebook. Obviously, the social network doesn’t want to miss out on one of the largest Internet using region. Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg was reported of having several meetings with Baidu’s CEO Robin Li and that’s when the agreements were rumoured to have been signed.
Despite Facebook’s clarification of no partnership at the moment, the deal, if it would have taken place, seems really beneficial for both. Baidu is China’s largest search engine and Facebook is top social network. Together, they can work on a harmonious strategy to tap the potential business opportunity in China.
The point to be noted here is that Facebook isn’t denying anything about the possible deal but giving a justification that it is currently studying and learning about China to benefit users, developers and advertisers. China already has a substitute or replacement services of popular social networks like Twitter – Sina. We won’t be surprised if we see a China specific social network developed by Facebook and powered by Baidu.
- Rumor: Facebook entering China with help from Baidu (zdnet.com)
- Rumored Facebook-Baidu partnership not a done deal (sfgate.com)
- Facebook Strikes China Deal With Baidu (BIDU) (businessinsider.com)
- Facebook Reaches Deal For China Site With Baidu, Sohu Reports (huffingtonpost.com)
- Facebook, Baidu Said To Enter Social Networking Deal (webpronews.com)
- Facebook ‘signs’ independent social network deal with Baidu (go.theregister.com)
- Facebook Gains Access To China (benzinga.com)
- Counter rumor: Facebook has not signed a deal in China (zdnet.com)
- Facebook and Baidu Reported in Social Networking Deal (marketingpilgrim.com)
- Facebook teams with Baidu for new social network in China (geek.com)
About pratyushkpA Newbie Social Media Blogger , Social Network Addict , Social Gamer ( Mafiawars , Farmville) , Working as a Marketing Specialist for a E-cards company. www.blogoholic.in
Posted on April 12, 2011, in Social, Technology and tagged Baidu, China, facebook, Government of the People's Republic of China, Mark Zuckerberg, Robin Li, social network, Social network service. Bookmark the permalink. 1 Comment.