Facebook Kicks Out 20,000 Underage Users Daily
Posted by pratyushkp
Nearly half of all 12-year-olds in U.S. are using social network sites, despite not meeting the minimum age requirements for sites like Facebook; a report by the Pew Internet & American Life Project claims.
The report also indicates that 46 percent of 12-year-olds in U.S. use social networks, and 62 percent of 13-year-olds in the study use social networks, that figure jumps to 82 percent between the ages of 14 to 17.
Facebook’s chief privacy adviser Mozelle Thompson agreed that underage users were taking advantage of the site. This issue is due to the fact that any user can register by simply lying while signing up since most of the big networking sites had have no mechanisms to detect whether the user is telling the truth or not. “It’s not perfect,” said Thompson.
“There are people who lie. There are people who are under 13 [accessing Facebook],” Thompson said. “Facebook removes 20,000 people a day, people who are underage.” Now, that’s just a fraction of its 600 million strong user base that Facebook has.
Facebook has set up a Facebook Public Policy and Online Safety team that looks to identify false information by users’ false, but verifying a person’s age seems close to impossible. A member of the team tells the News Observer that parent participation is really the key to the problem of underage users on the site. But what if the parents aren’t opposed to their children being on Facebook? Talking about safe Internet practices with kids might be the next best responsible thing to do, along with monitoring your child’s online activity.
But I believe it’s the parents who should own up the responsibility for what their children do on the Internet. I could give many analogies to put my point across, but I believe people are smart enough to understand the seriousness of this issue. Honestly, I wouldn’t be surprised if more than 50 percent of underage kids from India [who have Internet access] are more active than most adults on Facebook.
How many parents even know that users need to be 13-and above to own a legitimate Facebook account? Will you do something to stop this scenario or just turn a deaf ear to it? Leave us a comment and let us know.
- Facebook Bans 20,000 Underage Users A Day (allfacebook.com)
- Facebook Booting “20,000” Underage Users Per Day: Reaction to Growing Privacy Concerns? (fastcompany.com)
- Facebook booting ‘20,000’ underage users per day (cnn.com)
- Facebook Kicks Off 20,000 Underage Users Every Day (newsfeed.time.com)
- Facebook Grows Up: 20,000 Underage Users Booted Daily (newsfeed.time.com)
- Facebook boots 20,000 users per day, some for being underage. (blueorbit.wordpress.com)
- Facebook bans 20,000 underage users a day (news.bioscholar.com)
- One exclusive club? (konnorschmaltz.wordpress.com)
- Facebook bans 20,000 underage users a day, to hire cybersafety experts (thenextweb.com)
- News Flash: Facebook is deleting accounts of 20,000 underage and teen users per day! (radicalparenting.com)
About pratyushkpA Newbie Social Media Blogger , Social Network Addict , Social Gamer ( Mafiawars , Farmville) , Working as a Marketing Specialist for a E-cards company. www.blogoholic.in
Posted on March 26, 2011, in Social, Technology and tagged Age of majority, Daily Telegraph, facebook, india, Minor (law), Privacy, social network, United States. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.